Skip to main content

30 Sketches I Day 30

Well this is it...day 30. I did it! 30 sketches in 30 days and it was a wonderful experience. I already miss it but this Dodo sketch is the start to a new endeavor, The Nest Egg Art Project: Helping to Avert Extinction Through Art.

I am polishing my idea, collecting resources and contacts to get this project moving. Here is the rough proposal that I posted on an earlier entry:

I would like to produce a body of work using the imagery of extinct and endangered birds as well as birds that have been removed from the endangered species list as my subject matter. This collection of paintings will be priced to sell in a solo art exhibition and a portion of the proceeds will go to an avian conservation organization.

This project serves two purposes: it fulfills my love of painting birds and secondly, it brings forth the importance of avian conservation efforts to the public. Books and photos are my main resource for depicting my subject accurately but I do believe that witnessing the character of the bird first hand is extremely important as well. In order to capture a bird’s true unique traits, I plan to visit organizations that house some of these truly amazing creatures.

Through this project I hope to become a better artist, more knowledgeable of avian behavior, and become part of a community that supports the survival of an animal that I have become very passionate about.

This charcoal and pastel sketch of Lulu the wonder Dodo is the official spokes-bird of The Nest Egg Art Project. I am extremely excited about this project and it is something that I see not only for a one time exhibition but a cause that carries on throughout my life. Check out nesteggartproject.blogspot.com!

Comments

  1. congratulations, layla! i can't wait to sit back and watch as you procede to your next adventure...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 24: Willow Grouse, 12x9"

Willow Grouse in the house!

Day 20

I felt it necessary to do an illustration of the main characters in my pretend children's book entitled, Sheriff Farthright and Bangles: Lost in Los Angeles. Until this day, I never knew I even had a pretend children's book. It is not available in stores near you. Sheriff Farthright is a Yellow-rumped Seed-eater and his faithful steed, Bangles, is a Parrot-finch. Note Farthright's mighty stache. His badge shines as brightly as his character. Bangles is only seconds away from taking to the sky. I can actually hear Audubon rolling over in his grave due to the flagrant misuse of bird depictions.

Day 27: Ceramic Bird, 8x10"

Day 27-so close to the finale!! This is a drawing of a little ceramic bird I got in Albuquerque , New Mexico. It is very wee and when I saw it I knew it would have to live in my studio. I haven't named her so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Except for the last 4 days, all of the sketches from this project are shrink wrapped and ready for the art fair, Indie Chic at 10 th Street which is right around the corner - Dec. 5 th ! That was the incentive for this round of 30 Sketches Project and I am very much looking forward to it. Would love to see you there. Nothing better than buying local!!