Skip to main content

Day 5: Blackboard Bird, 8x10"

When I sat down to today's sketch, I knew I wanted to try something different. So I decided to work in black and white in hopes that I would focus more on my mark-making than color decisions.

Over and over again, blending, taking away, adding... until it got to a point that it was about to be filed in the trashcan. Once you get that far, you can't screw it up any further. I began letting the marks be the values. If you zoom in, the end result looks like the bird is covered with a blackboard. That's something different alright.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project IV Day 18: Turkey Vulture (again)

I can't stop with the Turkey Vultures. I think I might have been one in a past life. Is that why I'm such a dirtbag ?

Project IV Day 14: Willow Ptarmigan

I adore Ptarmigans. Why you ask? Three reasons really...1. huge, fluffy rabbit feet, 2. short, stocky bills, and 3. rounded rollie-pollie bodies. The top image is a close-up and the bottom shows the jacked up sheet of butcher paper I used. (You may notice a similar sheet from yesterday's drawing as well). I cover my drawing table with a 24"x36" sheet of butcher paper to keep the sketch zone semi-clean. When it's properly scribbled on I cut it into 8"x10" sections instead of trashing it. I love to see a finished sketch with all of the marks and random notes in the background.

Day 12

I thought I would try something different. I've never sketched/painted a migration pattern. A more detailed series would be fun I do believe.