Skip to main content

Day 19

I have a series in the works in which I depict endangered birds. Okay, how can I make it a bit more interesting and a little different from my usual avian works? hmmmm...

The endangered Bactrian Camel is the only true wild camel that still exists. These herds survive in the Gobi Desert of Mongolia and China but their total population is less than 1000.

Researching the Bactrian, I came across the image I used for the camel in this sketch. Even though the caption labeled him as a Bactrian Camel, I am not so sure. Bactrians have a thick shaggy coat. So I am using artistic license and saying this is indeed a Bactrian (with a haircut).

Atop his head, so delicately perched, is a common ole' baby chick. Baby chicks are treated as ornaments during the Easter holiday. There is no shortage of these little guys. I bet I could walk into 7-11 and pick up a dozen.

I like the juxtaposition of placing something so abundant with something that is in jeopardy of losing its very existence.

I would like to do a few more sketches like this one by keeping the chick as the constant and switching out the endangered species. We'll see how it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 20

I felt it necessary to do an illustration of the main characters in my pretend children's book entitled, Sheriff Farthright and Bangles: Lost in Los Angeles. Until this day, I never knew I even had a pretend children's book. It is not available in stores near you. Sheriff Farthright is a Yellow-rumped Seed-eater and his faithful steed, Bangles, is a Parrot-finch. Note Farthright's mighty stache. His badge shines as brightly as his character. Bangles is only seconds away from taking to the sky. I can actually hear Audubon rolling over in his grave due to the flagrant misuse of bird depictions.

Project IV Day 18: Turkey Vulture (again)

I can't stop with the Turkey Vultures. I think I might have been one in a past life. Is that why I'm such a dirtbag ?

Day 24: Willow Grouse, 12x9"

Willow Grouse in the house!