Skip to main content

Project IV Day 2: White-throated Spadebill


This is a White-throated spadebill. He is from Brazil and belongs to the Tyrant Flycatcher fam. (I also think that "Tyrant Flycatcher" would make for a pretty killer band name). The weather here in AZ is so amazingly wonderful that I drug several of my bird books to the back porch and soaked up some sun rays.

When searching for my "bird of the day" to sketch, I never look for a particular species. It mostly has to do with their shape. I also usually pick fairly neutral-colored birds. I don't like working with bright colors in pastel which is a bit odd considering that my oil paintings are always vibrant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 12

I thought I would try something different. I've never sketched/painted a migration pattern. A more detailed series would be fun I do believe.

Project IV Day 18: Turkey Vulture (again)

I can't stop with the Turkey Vultures. I think I might have been one in a past life. Is that why I'm such a dirtbag ?

Day 7

You can see in this baby Magpie's eyes that he is just waiting to grow up and peck your eyes out. Aren't babies of all species supposed to look sweet and kind-hearted? This charcoal and pastel sketch is on a piece of 11"x14" drawing paper. Tuesdays = 12 hour workday which in turn = smaller, meaner sketches.