Skip to main content

Project VI-Day Seven: Striped Hyena



I am currently working on a series of 5ft.x5ft. paintings that have me thinking a lot about the telling of children's stories and those thoughts have carried over into this project.  I came up with a snappier title than simply 30 Sketches Project VI for this collection and that is Outside of Their Story.  Here are words that go with the title...

What if an animal was plucked out of their animal life as they were just going about their animal business and then placed within a very unnatural animal environment?  What if that new environment was contained and in front of a human audience?

That animal's life has suddenly changed and their purpose has now taken center stage instead of simply being lived.  It is no longer part of a whole, no longer part of a herd, colony, or clan but is now an individual.  As the viewer, we instantly begin to place our human emotions and unique experiences on this "character" to form our own stories.  Outside of Their Story is like a children's book for grownups without words.

Day Seven:  Striped Hyena


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 24: Willow Grouse, 12x9"

Willow Grouse in the house!

Day 20

I felt it necessary to do an illustration of the main characters in my pretend children's book entitled, Sheriff Farthright and Bangles: Lost in Los Angeles. Until this day, I never knew I even had a pretend children's book. It is not available in stores near you. Sheriff Farthright is a Yellow-rumped Seed-eater and his faithful steed, Bangles, is a Parrot-finch. Note Farthright's mighty stache. His badge shines as brightly as his character. Bangles is only seconds away from taking to the sky. I can actually hear Audubon rolling over in his grave due to the flagrant misuse of bird depictions.

Day 27: Ceramic Bird, 8x10"

Day 27-so close to the finale!! This is a drawing of a little ceramic bird I got in Albuquerque , New Mexico. It is very wee and when I saw it I knew it would have to live in my studio. I haven't named her so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Except for the last 4 days, all of the sketches from this project are shrink wrapped and ready for the art fair, Indie Chic at 10 th Street which is right around the corner - Dec. 5 th ! That was the incentive for this round of 30 Sketches Project and I am very much looking forward to it. Would love to see you there. Nothing better than buying local!!