Skip to main content

Project VII-Day Ten: Field Mouse

     Ok, Day Ten...beginning to feel the strain of making time for a drawing everyday although I enjoyed sketching this little guy very much. I was doing a residency at Rensing Center in Pickens, SC in 2015. This little mouse was in my studio. He saw me and I saw him and we both EEEK-ed and quickly came to an understanding. He kindly got into a trashcan so I could relocate him back into his natural habitat which was a field just beyond the studio that housed not only mice but baby dang goats.
     Sidenote: I am realizing that many of these photos have come from residencies. Now don't think I just galavant around traipsing from one residency to the next. I've done several over the last seven years and for every one I've been accepted to there are four or five that gave me the ole "Thanks for submitting but..." letter. To this day it still blows my mind that artist residency programs even exist. They have gifted me with time to quiet down enough to focus on making work which includes having a field mouse photo shoot. And that experience is still providing fuel for me today.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project IV Day 18: Turkey Vulture (again)

I can't stop with the Turkey Vultures. I think I might have been one in a past life. Is that why I'm such a dirtbag ?

Day 20

I felt it necessary to do an illustration of the main characters in my pretend children's book entitled, Sheriff Farthright and Bangles: Lost in Los Angeles. Until this day, I never knew I even had a pretend children's book. It is not available in stores near you. Sheriff Farthright is a Yellow-rumped Seed-eater and his faithful steed, Bangles, is a Parrot-finch. Note Farthright's mighty stache. His badge shines as brightly as his character. Bangles is only seconds away from taking to the sky. I can actually hear Audubon rolling over in his grave due to the flagrant misuse of bird depictions.

Day 15

Today I bought the greatest used book - Cage Birds in Color and it is an early 80's beauty. That is where the image for this sketch of a Pagodah Mynah came from. I never really understood having a bird as a pet. This book has uncovered a new world that I never knew existed. Glad I am broke or I would be cleaning bird poop out of a cage right now. Thanks crumbling economy!